Saturday, March 27, 2010

Have you ever wanted to visit the big city and stare intently into an international artist eyes for as long as you wanted? Forever becoming part of the performance? Well Marina Abramovic´is having a open invitation stare down at the MOMA for the next three months. Friends – this stare down is intense.

Yes that's right, from opening to closing the artist sits at a table and anyone is welcome to join her and stare into the cosmos of the her eyes. I personally had no desire to sit and be stared at for any amount of time by this lady. But it was fascinating and intriguing to watch others get gazed upon.
Upon entering the room, I sat down on the floor and watched. There was a electric reverent atmosphere around. People spoke hushed comments of curiosity and whispered questions excitedly to their friends. I watched a lady sit down with the artist right when I arrived and she remained there for the next hour and a half. I would duck into a gallery and when I came out she was still there. I went to the upper floors and would look over the balcony and she was still there. Finally, moments after I took this photo, she left the table. The participant's friends circled her and she relayed the experience to them with a look of exhaustion like she had just swam the English Channel. Apparently staring at someone for an extended period of time really takes it out of you.

So you want to be involved?

The rules are as follows:
1: Wait in line for your turn
2: When it is your turn sit down in the chair opposite of artist
3: Gaze at artist for as long as you want
4: When you no longer have desire to look at the artist get up and walk away

Straight forward performance art stuff really.

Good news for those of you that will not be able to make it to NYC in the next three months. The whole thing is broadcast live on the internet. Click here for the stare down.

I must state a warning. On the fifth floor there is a retrospective of the artist work. I'm sorry to say that there is nothing praiseworthy or of good report about it. Do not seek after these things. You have been warned.

2 comments:

Stone said...

I just skimmed through some of the photos.
A lot of weirdo people stared at Marina Abramovic.
Michael Stipe also stared at Marina Abramovic. Which isn't surprising, it should have been expected.
Marisa Tomei also stared at Marina Abramovic.
What is surprising is that I didn't see Kim Gordon.
But I gave up after 10 minutes... I'm not that dedicated.

Stone said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment