Saturday, February 9, 2008

When Jared first extended the invitation to fly to Berlin I asked a series of questions. They were as follows:
1.Can I help make art?
1.2 If assisting in art production is possible do I get a jump suit?
2. Will not knowing the language cause any problems.

Jared responded yes to the first two questions and no to the last. So I bought my ticket and was on my way.

Upon arriving in Berlin I discovered that it was Berlin fashion week. Lucky me. When out at some of the fashion week events Jared and I stumbled across a most excellent find. A tuxedo jumpsuit that would fit me perfectly! The secret was at work. I'm going to make one of these for myself. I told Jared that when he gets married I will make him a tuxedo jumpsuit. The way I see it if you can get baptized in a jumpsuit you should be able to get married in a tuxedo jumpsuit.

Jared travels with his jumpsuit at the ready in case any dumpsters that he comes across yield any art materials. This is a great way to get to know a city by the things that people throw away. Below Jared prepares to dive into a dumpster.
With his bounty on his shoulder he begins the long walk back to the apartment. In the background you can see the dumpster. I think this building was a school that is being cleaned out. It was behind some other buildings. Access to this building was through a small alley way. It was a surprise to find this big building stuffed away behind some apartment buildings. In the court yard they had two stone top ping-pong tables with metal nets. I'm jealous that my school didn't have those in our school yard.
This is a good shot of the neighborhood that we stayed it. All the buildings were about this height and painted these nice colors. Jared is a real lumber jack carrying this monitor all the way down the street. I wonder what the Berliners thought about this full bearded man in a blue jumpsuit cruising around with all this stuff.
Later that day I explored stores around town. When I got back to the Kompact Living Space Jared had been hard at work setting up all the things that he had collected.

On another note. The doors and windows in Germany are amazing. They can do all these fancy things. If you turn the handle on these doors a quarter turn it opens like a normal door. If you turn the handle a half of a turn they open at the top a few degrees and swing open from the floor to allow for ventilation. It's the small things like that that attract me to Germany.

4 comments:

Ashley said...

those Germans really know their doors. Maybe you should forget your socks and go into making jumpsuits...I can see a big future there...

Jeffrey said...

I have considered it. Before I use to think that I knew that I have found the right wife if we could have the wedding reception in the cultural hall... but I've up the bar to if she's alright with me wearing the tuxedo jumpsuit.

Side of Jeffrey said...

I can't believe I missed out on wearing a jump suit like that at my wedding.. I'm sure Caitlin would have been all about that.

Side of Jeffrey said...

I can't believe I missed out on wearing a jump suit like that at my wedding.. I'm sure Caitlin would have been all about that.

Post a Comment