Friday, May 29, 2009

Rebekah lives in Slovenia and works as a ballet dancer. The Ballet was not performing that week but the dancers did have a part in the Opera that was showing. The Opera was in Russian with Slovenian subtitles. I do not understand Russian or Slovenian so I drew pictures in the dark of what I saw on stage. It turned out to be pretty fun.This is the orchestra pit. Some argue it is the strong piece in the set.
This Opera must have something to do with church. The opening scene had a lot of people carry all sorts and sizes of crosses. There was one giant one hanging from the back wall (detail in lower page above)This opera had lots of singing in it and very dramatic large stage scenes shown above.
This stage was great. As you can tell above it snowed on stage while people carried around more crosses in what appeared to be in a landscape devastated by a fire (it is Russia after all). Then below that there is a gong. With a Czar-type person with dancing ladies (Rebekah and her friends) reminded me of Jabba's palace.This was one of the more intimate scenes. One person was down on their knees singing to some other people.
Of course being a clothing designer I had to draw some detail sketches of the costuming.

It was a good thing that I drew these sketches. I rode with Rebekah and the other dancers back home. They didn't believe me that I had stayed awake during the Opera. I showed them the drawings and my name was cleared.

1 comments:

Ashley said...

Those pictures are really cool Jeff!

Post a Comment