Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Tyranny!

My lifestyle is being assaulted. Over the last two years I have steadily increased the size of my reference library solely on purchases from the Strand Bookstore dollar rack. Let's review a few of the books that I have come across on those blessed racks:

The Red Air Fighter by Manfred Von Richthofen
The Oregon Trail by Francis Parkman
The Pocket Encyclopedia of Spaceflight In Color, Manned Spacecraft by Kenneth Gatland
Democracy In America by Alexis De Tocqueville
The Personal Memoirs of U.S. Grant by U.S. Grant
John Brown's Body by Steven Vincent Benét
Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo by Captain Ted Lawson
Gramatica Primer Grado by Dr. Vicente Tena
Hell Among The Yearlings by Edmund Randolph
Ulysses by James Joyce
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom by T.E. Lawrence
Commercial Correspondence by Albert G. Belding

The days of the huge book hauls are over! You see... Strand has doubled... yes I'm talking about a 100% price increase of the dollar rack for hard back books. It's now two dollars. It is ludicrous that they presume to believe that they can double the price over night and that we – the literate – will not raise up in anger and strike down the oppressive book peddler.

I digress. There will be no revolt. There will be no sticking it to the book seller. Only a decrease in my purchasing. It's okay though. As you can see. My bookshelf is full.
The radiator is stacking.
and the table is overflowing with books.
it was good while it lasted... and I rode it as long and as far as I could.

2 comments:

Side of Jeffrey said...

I saw a business report on the cost of retail rent in NYC and how it is at an all time high, even pre-economic meltdown. I bet they are suffering. let's forgive the bookstore and blame it on the MAN.

Jeffrey said...

Thanks for the info...
I should have known that the MAN was behind all of this!

Post a Comment