Saturday, November 17, 2007

This is a piece of bread that came from Elder Johnson's magical kitchen. Elder and Sister Johnson and I work the Friday night temple shift together. We have all become great friends. Elder Johnson has gone lawn bowling in central park with Jeff Mulcock and I. Elder Johnson has let it slip out that he makes amazing things in his kitchen. This Friday he invited me over to their apartment to get some homemade salomie . I jumped at the chance since Jeff Mulcock didn't come to work that night and I knew this would make him jealous. This is the loaf of Bread! Look how big that thing is! Please notice that in Elder Johnson's hand is the homemade salomie. The week before Elder Johnson had brought some salomie and left it in the break room for the workers to enjoy. His recipe is 50% lean beef and 50% fatty pork and a list of seasons as long as your arm. "You've got to have the fat in the pork or it turns out like sawdust ." I believe him.
He asks me if I want him to cut if for me because if he does then it will last longer. "They're just like potato chips... you just can't eat one", he tells me. I asked Sister Johnson how she got so lucky. She said,"he's always cooked... It's his kitchen." The Johnson's mission is over in a few weeks. It's going to be tough to see them go home, but it's just like the Lion King teaches us... it's the circle of life. I'm going to miss them more then the salomie.

P.S. You might be wondering what Elder Johnson did for a career. He engineered and built rocket boosters for the space shuttle. He told me about working on it. I knew it was an awesome story when he ended it with, "you could never get away with testing it like that today."

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Who makes homemade Salamie?! Yumm-o!

Side of Jeffrey said...

MY BODY IS RAGING WITH SUCH JEALOUSY THAT SOMEONE JUST ASKED IF I HAVE "THE SHAKES". ARGGGGGH!

Post a Comment