Friday, March 14, 2008

When I found out that Tom Wolfe was coming to the Union Square Barns and Noble I immediately wrote Brigham knowing that he would be highly interested in attending this event. You can always count on Brig for stuff like that. The problem of going with Brigham to see cool things like Tom Wolfe speak is that his blog report will be much better then anything you could write. This has held true in the current circumstance. Therefore, I have decided to link to his blog so you can read his encompassing review (the man takes notes) and I will focus my comments on items that were a particular interest to me not mentioned in his blog.
First... let's be honest folks... the white suit always worn by Tom Wolfe is amazing. He has many suits of various shades of white. I don't believe he ever makes a public appearance without his chosen uniform the white suit. Tonight he was wearing a rather creamy white. I wonder how often he gets his suits cleaned. I also wonder if he has ever lost a suit to a stain, and if so how many, and if there are multiple suit decommissioned due to staining when he gets a new stain does he say, "darn it... not again! I really liked this one." He's probably use to it and has dealt with it over many years.

Tom Wolfe is 77 from Richmond Virgina and has that nice southern demeanor about him complete with a slight southern accent. To be honest when I first saw him and heard him speak I thought of General Lee and a comment made by a northern woman upon seeing General Lee ride through her town she said, "I wish he were ours". Tonight Tom showed solidarity with the south by wearing a tie with the shape of Florida repeating in a diagonal stripe.

He wore a black with white pinstripes french cuff shirt with white cuff links. His shoes where two-tone white and black. It almost looked like he was wearing spats. Which is awesome. One of the best parts is when he stood up at the end I could see his waist band. It was around 4" tall.

I've never read any Tom Wolfe books. But I always knew that I would like them if I did and now that I've seen him speak I'm interested in getting around to reading some of his work.

0 comments:

Post a Comment