Thursday, May 29, 2008

First... The House Of The Lord. The first day I got to Stockholm I dropped off my bag and went straight to the temple. It's a train ride just outside the city and is located right next to a train stop. It's really peaceful out there. It was fun to use the translator head set during the service. I met an old man from Idaho who became my friend. After the session he showed me around the temple grounds and buildings. He invited me to his apartment and showed me his family picture album. He had served a mission in Sweden in 1950. One day Lena took me to a park that on the hill side they have these cute tiny homes. From what I understand the government gave poor people some land to build a homes on. These little houses are what they made.
The day we walk through was a yard clean up day for this little community. Everyone was out tending to the gravel walkway and shrubs that snakes through the neighborhood. We stopped to ask about if it was required to help out and they told Lena that they have to help or they have to pay a fine. They used a large variety of manual yard tools. I love yard work and thought this quaint little community was heaven.
But I did have a few concerns. A: I don't know if I could ether stand-up straight or fully extend myself while lying down in any of these homes. Even my apartment in Manhattan is bigger then these houses.
B: Are there showers in there? It just doesn't seem like there is enough room.

All-in-all it felt like a little paradise. Oh Sweden you welfare state you.
I couldn't help thinking that my grandma would really like this place. It feels like it's part of a theme park called "Grandmaville".
As attested by my bow tie (which I wore to speak at the deaf branch on Sunday), the vintage shops in Stockholm are amazing. I will only post one picture about it though, as it is conclusive evidence.



1 comments:

paul said...

Is Stockholm code for "The Shire"?

Post a Comment