Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Along with always wanting to learn French for as long as I can remember, I've always wanted to wear bow ties. I feel that I have the bow tie disposition. Of course, the clip-on variety would not do. In addition, it has to have the perfect shape along with the perfect pattern or stripe. Using the secret, I have long envisioned finding this tie. I spotted one at the Brooks Brother's store. I admired it from afar... It being part of their Black Fleece collection I knew it was most likely out of my budgetary means.

Stockholm has come through for me though. That city has great vintage stores. The first vintage store that I stepped into I spotted a basket of bow ties and this one was on top. It was calling me like that crystal buried in the barn called to Clark Kent. Kind of glowing and humming a little bit.

This bow tie has the exact proportions that I have been looking for. Skinny and straight with out a lot of curves and fuss. The colors are just to the side of standard making it walk that line between "check it" and "HEY CHECK ME OUT!". The line widths is also pleasing to me.

With my jet lag I've been waking up at 5:30am. Which has been great because it gives me enough time before work to take a bath, read a book, cook breakfast, listen to my podcasts and to practice tying my bow tie.

First, I looked at the Brooks Brother's website. They have instructions for tying all types of ties and bow ties. Those instructions didn't really help me (I'm a bit disappointed in B.B. for not making it happen for me). Next, I turned to a trusted source of knowledge... youtube. A nice gentleman from South Carolina had an excellent video on how to tie a bow tie and as you can see it's just this side of perfect.

... Just as a side note, I realized that this shirt and bow tie combo is not the greatest. But you must admit it's hard to look away... kind of like a car crash.

4 comments:

Scrumpestuous D said...

I must confess to being the owner of several bow ties. No clip-ons, of course. Since my move to NYC, I've been hesitant to wear them, for fear of being labeled an outcast from fashionable society. Minus points for not being true to myself.

I can get you a discount on the BB tie, as I have been admiring a few of them myself for a few months now...

Ashley said...

you are a very talented young man jeffrey. Welcome home.

Globetrotter said...

Perfect BT! And perfect city to have bought it in.
There is nothing like a man with a BT... it oozes nonchalant confidence like no other;)

bex said...

i have recently ALSO been mostly obsessed with bowties, and have ALSO used the Secret to procure the perfect ones to hang from my neck. Probably best that you are secret-ly searching for them in NY and i in SF, or the Secret would have to start picking favorites.

Post a Comment