Thursday, May 22, 2008

Before we start our tour of food, I just wanted to call everyone's attention to the elevators in Sweden. They do not have doors so there is a risk of death when riding them as illustrated below: After a long day of adventure, my Swedish friend Lena asked me, "what do you want to eat for diner?" The answer was quick and simple, "mashed potatoes." Then she told me of a Swedish dish called plank steak. Lena might have to correct me on the name... but that's the general idea. She told me that this dish consisted of beef on a board surrounded with mashed potatoes and vegetables. "Does that sound good?", she asked. "Is that a real dish... take me to this place that makes such amazing things." Please notice that the green beans are rapped in bacon. Anything rapped in bacon automatically becomes exceedingly better. If we could take the problems of the world and rap them with bacon it would be a much better place. For example: rap Iraq in bacon... problem solved. What would the have to fight about then?
Here's Lena and I before our well deserved plank steak feast. After the food came out there wasn't much talking... just chewing and noises of culinary pleasure. It was the right dish at the right time.
It is a requirement when visiting Sweden to enjoy Swedish Meatballs. Sunday afternoon Lean and I meet up with some of her friends in this nice park (I'll post pictures of the park at a later date). It was an amazing beautiful day... perfect for outdoor lunches with friends and meatballs. Here again I got mashed potatoes. I also delighted in a cucumber salad and cranberries. It was Delicious. Being skinny as I am... sometimes it hard for me to eat at a normal pace. Especially when hungry. I tried to slow down and enjoy my dish... but it was in vain and before I knew it I was completely satisfied with my lunch safely in my belly.

Simon who was hosting me on his couch for my Swedish leg of my trip, had been talking about feeding me pickled herring since I had arrived. My last night in Stockholm was the appointed time. I shall review the items in the below picture. Starting at the top, the tub with a wooden knife is butter. Below that in the toothpaste tube is caviar. Isn't that great caviar in a tube! On the plate below that is the pickled herring, which is raw fish pickled. To the left is Swiss cheese with cheese cutter and lettuce. Then there is a plate of diced tomatoes and onions. Finishing off the items is a Swedish bread. There is suppose to be one other item... I can't remember what it was... perhaps Simon can remind me.
Well you butter the bread, cut the cheese, place the herring, top with tomato, lettuce, onion. Then you pray.
Here is Simon and his roommate waiting to see me freak out when I eat this Swedish dish.
Here I take my first bite...
It wasn't that bad... I even added more herring to my plate. This was to Simon's much surprise who said that he's never seen any Non-Swede like it. What can I say, I'm so international.

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

Jeff, I am so jealous that you went to Sweden. I have always wanted to go. Some day, I guess...

bex said...

the sad thing is, this probably means that at some point in time some poor swede lost his head to a trecherous garbage can accident in the elevator. they should make those signs standard issue in Ikea.

miss lena's pie said...

Jeff, I have seriously never seen an uglier picture of me. You better post another where I look pretty before you end the vacation posts.
Nevertheless I really appreciate the reading, you render your adventure in such delightful little daily portions, like European tapas. I had pickled herring for dinner today, with fresh potatoes, you wudda loved it!

Don said...

Regarding the elevator warnings: They wouldn't post it if it hadn't happened before.

Yikes!

Post a Comment