Thursday, June 18, 2009

New Music is in my life again.  After seeing The New York Dolls and Iggy Pop and the Stooges play live a few years ago anything else just doesn't cut it.  And if that wasn't enough, watching Jon Brion break his guitar neck and then proceed to play when doves cry on it really made me wonder 'where do I go next for musical kicks'?  

Now for a moment of clarity.  I wish I was so musically inclined as the above makes me appear. The truth is, my friend Paul moved from the city years ago and he was the one that brought me all the cool music.  I'm starting to fend for myself.

I've diligently been taking notes of songs that my ears fancy.  I've been listening to KCRL on the interweb and when I hear something that I like I scribble it down.  Later I review the songs on itunes.  Sometimes I think 'what was I thinking' other times I think 'oh yeah this was a good one'.  The most helpful thing has been to see bands repeated on my list.  This is a sure witness of two or three that it is true and correct music.  Here are my cheat sheets... you know the crib sheets, front and back.   


Some bands that have made an impression on me:

Talking Heads - - - as if there was ever a question
Fleet Foxes
Harlem Shakes
Bill Calahan
Sexton Blake (cover album with great covers of Daniel, Making Love Out of Nothing at All, etc.)
Camera Obscura - - - the new album is really making it happen
The Short Wave Set
Silver Jews
Deer Tick

2 comments:

M said...

just found camera obscura myself. and the lucksmiths. you should check them out.

Scott Brasher said...

Hey Jeff!
U are the man!!!

Post a Comment